8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Obtain estimates from different companies and select the one that best meets your needs.
- If you need the movers to pack for you relay this to to the sales person when obtaining your estimates.
6 Weeks Before Your Move
- Meet with your mover and discuss all details: cost, liability, packing, loading, delivery and claims procedures.
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- If packing yourself, begin packing.
- Sort through and throw out, give away or sell things you don’t want or need.
- If necessary, arrange for storage of your goods.
- Send furniture, drapes, carpets for repair or cleaning.
- Arrange for repair work on your new house.
3 Weeks Before Your Move
- Arrange to have appliances, utilities and telephone disconnected in your old house. Arrange utility and telephone hookup for new house.
- Make travel arrangements and hotel reservations for your trip.
- Apartment dwellers: reserve elevator for pickup and/or delivery day.
- Obtain medical, dental and veterinary records.
- Organize car license, registration and insurance records
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Obtain, fill out and mail change-of-address cards.
- Make special arrangements for transporting pets and plants.
- Take care of bills, stocks and bank accounts.
1 Week Before Your Move
- Arrange for baby-sitter on moving day.
- Transfer prescriptions.
- Arrange for delivery services (newspapers, milk, etc) to be discontinued
1-2 Days Before Your Move
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Arrange for payment to mover (cash or postal moneyorder only will be accepted at the time of delivery).
- Arrange for cash/travelers checks for trip expenses.
- If traveling by car, check your gas, tires, water, battery, oil, wipers, etc.