Once you’ve found the perfect new house or apartment to move into and have signed on the dotted line, it’s time to get down to business. Moving is an exhilarating experience, no matter how many times you’ve done it in the past. Chances are you are looking forward to moving into your abode and exploring your new city, but before you make happy hour reservations at the local hotspot, you have to think about getting all your belongings there. As anyone who has ever moved before can attest to, moving is a wonderful time to reorganize all your belongings and possessions, making sure you aren’t taking any unnecessary clutter with you to your new space.
Once you start going through everything and seeing how much you have, it may be time to call your local Austin moving company. While it is certainly appealing to go the “DIY” route when it comes to moving across the state, this can be quite stressful and overwhelming. However, just because you raise the red flag and ask for help with your move doesn’t mean you are completely relinquishing all responsibilities. If you own a car, you will likely want to pack as much into it as possible. This will reduce your overall moving costs and will also allow you to take charge and bring those essential items with you, instead of in the back of a moving truck.
Here are a few tips to help you pack the car as efficiently as possible. This may take a few tries, but once you get everything organized and have proven yourself as a master of Car Tetris, you will be able to breathe a huge sigh of relief. Be sure and take the following tips into consideration when packing your car up for moving day:
- Pack the essentials first – We recommend you pack the things you need most before you do anything else. Whether that means your bathroom goodies and some clothes or your grandmother’s heirloom lamp, make sure to get these items in your car first.
- Be strategic with your packing – When you start to go through your stuff and have decided what items are coming with you, and which are going with the movers, be sure and set aside the things you will need during the drive to your new home. This includes snack food, a car charger, your phone, and whatever else you may need during the drive. It may also be a good idea to put your overnight bag with basic toiletries and a few days worth of clothes in the front seat, because, well, you just never know.
- Do your best to balance the car – After you have your essentials all packed away and the items you think you will need during your drive out, think about what should go in next. Do your best to spread out the heavy stuff on each side of the car, that way you aren’t lopsided as you’re driving down the interstate. This may be a little difficult, but it is certainly worth a try.
- Keep your back window clear, if possible – If you can, we recommend you keep your back window clear so you can actually see what’s going on during your drive. You definitely don’t want to put yourself in a position where you can’t see and therefore back into something, causing damage to your car, belongings, or even yourself.
- Take your time – It can certainly be tempting to just throw a bunch of stuff in your car and close the back as quickly as possibly, securing everything in place. However, this will only result in a huge headache for you when you get to your new spot. We can guarantee that the last thing you want to deal with when you’ve arrived in your new city is a packed full car, brimming at the seams. When you start to pack your car up, take a deep breathe and do your best to take your time.
If you have any questions about our packing our moving services, give us a call today! We look forward to helping you with all your moving and storage needs.