A moving checklist is an essential tool, whether you are moving across town, to the other side of the country, or to an entirely different country. Having a detailed checklist in place before you start the actual moving process will not only give you peace of mind, but it will help ensure you don’t miss a single step.
Packing up all of your belongings and moving to a new home or apartment is no small task, which is why it is a good idea to do everything you can to make the process easier on yourself. Once you have secured a local moving company, you will then be able to work on the actual move itself. From securing boxes to making sure everything is packed in as organized of a way as possible, you will undoubtedly have a lot on your plate before the big day comes.
The checklist below is designed to better prepare you for the move. We have compiled a handful of tips for different time periods before your move as it is important to be 100% ready when the big day comes.
A Month Before the Move
Approximately one month before you are set to move, it is a good idea to do the following:
- Secure local movers that you know you can trust
- Visit your local moving company to discuss the packing options (Decide if you need partial or full packing services)
- Begin to clean out closets, the garage, the shed, and any attic space
- Host a garage sale or donate all unwanted items to a local charity
- Get change of address forms from your post office
- Notify all magazine subscriptions, insurance companies, credit card companies, and any other organizations of your new address
Two Weeks Before the Move
Here are some tips to help you get organized two weeks before you are set to move:
- Set aside a few “survival” items that you will need for the final clean-up at your old place
- If you are packing yourself, be sure to label all moving boxes as you pack. This will be a HUGE help once you get to your new destination and begin unpacking
- Schedule disconnects for the gas, electric, and water services at your old house
The Week of the Move
These tips should help you stay focused during the week of your move:
- Mail or turn in your change of address forms
- Continue packing and clean as you go
- Pack items (and make sure to label them!) that you will need right away at your new home
- Clean the stove
The Day Before the Move
You should be pretty much set to go the day before your move, but here are a few last minute tips to help you:
- Clean the refrigerator
- Say goodbye to your neighbors!
- Make sure everything is packed and organized and ready for the movers
Moving can be a stressful experience if not approached in an organized way. The above listed tips should help you stay on the right track throughout the entire moving process.
If you are looking for a reliable moving company that offers a stress-free move, contact Condor Moving Systems today! We are located around the DFW region in Arlington but provide moving services all across Texas.