It is no secret that moving can be an overwhelming and at-times stressful experience, but it doesn’t have to be. Thankfully, there are numerous steps you can take that will save yourself a lot of dough during a move. Whether you are simply moving across town or to another part of the country, there are many ways you can save yourself money, and a headache, for that matter. For starters, it is important that you know what you need to spend and budget appropriately before you do anything else. As a well-respected local moving company, Condor Moving Systems is committed to making things easier on you during this high-stress time, and this includes saving you money. We understand how overwhelming the notion – and act – of moving your home or office can be, which is why we offer competitive rates and have movers in place to do the heavy lifting for you. By scheduling your move with our local moving company ahead of time, you will have more time to focus on sticking to your budget and taking care of all the necessities without shelling out any unnecessary cash.
Here are a few great tips to help you save money during a move of any size:
- It’s all about sticking to the budget – The number one rule when it comes to saving money on a move is to plan ahead and put together a budget before you do anything else. We recommend putting together a budget for all three stages of your move (packing and preparing, the actual move, and setting up your new home). If you are familiar with Excel, it may be helpful to create a spreadsheet to help you keep better track of all your estimated – and actual – expenses. This way, if one stage ends up being a lot more expensive than you had anticipated, you can compensate by choosing a cheaper option in another area.
- Declutter and get rid of some of your stuff – As we’ve touched on in the past, selling or donating some of your belongings before a move can earn you some extra cash, as well as a tax deduction. Furthermore, by going through all of your stuff and downsizing, your movers won’t have to take on quite as much, which will in turn save you dollar bills.
- Keep track of the small stuff – As with anything, it is oftentimes the small stuff that ends up costing you in the end. If you aren’t careful, the little things can pile up. This is why it is important that you budget for the small things, such as food, packing materials, and any repairs for your new home. Believe it or not, but these things could mean the difference between an affordable move and one that breaks the bank.
- Remember the tax break. Many people forget about this point, but many of your moving costs can be written off of your taxes. It is a good idea to check the IRS website for details regarding how to write off your moving costs, as this can be tricky. Also, be sure to get a receipt and take pictures whenever you donate anything, as this will make things much, much easier on you come tax time.
- Research your new neighborhood – Before you move to your new home, be sure and do some research in order to locate all the essentials. Find out where the closest grocery store, drugstore, and gas stations are before you move. This will prevent any emergency trips for supplies and will save you a lot of time and worry come move-in day.
These tips should help you have a much smoother, and more affordable move. And remember, Condor Moving Systems is your go-to local moving company, no matter where you are going.