Regardless of the time of year you are move across Texas, it can be overwhelming if you don’t plan ahead. The reality is that moving is something most people dread and try to avoid at all costs. However, there are a handful of hacks that are guaranteed to make your moving day a much more enjoyable and successful experience. Perhaps the first step to making a move go off without a hitch is learning how to pack. Whether you are packing up fragile dishes, furniture, your kids’ toys, or all the important knick-knacks around your house, it is important to dive into this task and make sure everything is packed neatly and tightly.
Yes, we know that packing doesn’t top your list of fun things to do, but it is a necessary part of moving and, if done right, something that will save you time and a headache down the road. Hey look at it this way – packing is a great opportunity for you to actually go through all your belongings and get rid of the things you don’t want and are simply carting around to every house you move to. And you never know, you may discover that long lost picture frame or favorite sweater you forgot about!
In addition to starting the packing process well before moving day comes, we’ve come up with a few more secrets to help you with your move. If you are planning a move across Texas or to another part of the country, be sure and contact our long-distance moving company to help with all your packing and moving needs. We are a full-service moving company that offers a wide range of services, including short and long-term storage, auto transport, and packing. So next time it is your turn to move, don’t stress out and let us do all the dirty work!
Here are some of our favorite secrets to packing and moving in order to have a smooth move across Texas, no matter when and where you are moving to:
- Pack books in smaller boxes – While it can be tempting to get a large box and stuff it full of your favorite novels, your back will hate you for it. Regardless of whether or not you will be the one lugging your boxes around, it is smart to pack heavier items, in easier-to-handle smaller boxes.
- Think about it before you pack it – What we mean by this is that it is helpful to pack items of similar size, shape, and weight together. A good example is lampshades, which often fit together perfectly.
- Protect the little things – When packing, it is easy for the small things to get lost in the shuffle. Items like remote controls, picture-hanging hardware, and other odds and ends oftentimes get thrown into random boxes, never to be found again. A good idea is to use colored tissue paper and even a small plastic bag so that these items stand out amidst all the packing paper and bigger items.
- Use old fitted sheets – While you may have questioned yourself for keeping your old, ratty sheets around, they will come in handy on moving day. Use them to protect your mattress and other furniture, such as upholstered chairs or other small furnishings.
- Reuse boxes – Holding onto boxes from large purchases, such as a TV or vacuum, is something your future self will thank you for. In many cases, your TV or computer can go back in the box it came from when you are moving, giving it added protection and padding.
These five moving secrets should give you a good starting place and some ideas of what to do to make your move easier on yourself, loved ones, and movers. To find out more about our long-distance moving services or to schedule a move, please contact our Arlington office today.