There’s no way around it: the summer months can be brutally hot in some parts of the country, such as Texas. You can crank the air conditioning all you want, the fact of the matter is that the heat is here to stay, at least for a few more months. According the United States Census Bureau, the summertime is the busiest time of the year for household moving. Statistics show that 48.4% of all moves take place between the months of June and September. Whether you are choosing to move during the summer because school is out and it is easier on your kiddos to not be taken out of class in the middle of the year, or if it simply how your lease agreement fell, you may be in need of a few tips to help you beat the summer heat while moving this year.
It should also be noted that many people opt to move during the summer – even when it’s beastly hot out – to avoid having to navigate icy roads and bone chilling temperatures. Because so many people opt to move during the summer, it is important for you to plan ahead and prepare yourself for the move. Here at Condor Moving Systems, we encourage you to schedule a moving appointment with us soon as you know when you can get into your new home. This is the first step to alleviating some of the stresses involved with moving, as you will already have your movers in place and won’t have to worry about whether or not they are available.
To help you better plan your summer move, we’ve compiled a list of tips that are bound to help you stay stress-free and also reduce the amount you will have to spend come moving day:
- If you have flexibility with your moving day, use it – As you can probably guess, weekends and the ends of the month are the busiest times of the year to move, regardless of what season it is. However, things can get even crazier during these times in the summer. If possible, avoid moving on holidays such as Memorial Day Weekend or the Fourth of July. If the option is available to you and fits with your schedule, we encourage you to move during the week.
- Make your reservation ahead of time – As briefly mentioned above, summertime is the busiest time of the year to move, which means that local moving companies, just like Condor, get booked up quicker than during the rest of the year. While the average person makes their moving day appointment just 8 days in advance, you should consider making your reservation much earlier. Even if your move is months away, it is a good idea to schedule the appointment with the movers as soon as you can. This will save you a huge headache down the road!
- Stay hydrated – Heat can be dangerous, especially if you are exerting a lot of energy and aren’t able to sit down and take a break for a very long time. This is why it is crucial that you drink water, and plenty of it.
- Consider your wardrobe – When moving during the summer, it is best to stay away from dark, heavy clothing. Instead, opt for garments that are lightweight and comfortable. Furthermore, make sure you slather on the sunscreen in order to keep your skin protected from sunburn when you are moving items in from outside.
- Protect heat-sensitive items – You may have to do a little research to figure out which items are sensitive to the heat, but it will save you in the end. Certain items – such as wax candles, aerosols, and electronics, for example, should not be boxed up in the sweltering heat and transported in the back of a moving truck. It is best for you to keep these items with you and clearly label them so that there is no confusion.
We hope these tips help you plan your summertime move and stay as cool and relaxed as possible. Remember to give Condor a call and schedule your appointment today, we are here for you, no matter what the temperature dial says!